State Standards and Homework
- The policy is based on the needs of the average student. The amount of time a student spends on assigned homework depends on factors such as the student’s needs, learning ability, subject, school schedule, testing schedule and assigned homework due dates.
- Parents and teachers should make students aware that learning occurs at home, school, and in the world around them.
- Homework should be purposeful and meaningful to students. Legitimate purposes for homework include practicing a skill or process that students can do independently but not fluently, elaborating on information that has been addressed in class, and providing opportunities for students to explore topics of their own interest.
- Reading is an integral part of learning. These guidelines include 15-20 minutes of reading per night:
- K-1 15-30 minutes of homework per night (reading included)
- 2-3 30-45 minutes of homework per night (reading included)
- 4-5 45-60 minutes of homework per night (reading included)
- In grades K-3, homework consists primarily of reading and a limited number of independent exercises to reinforce previously taught basic skills.
- Except for reading, homework at the elementary level should not be assigned over weekends, holidays, or extended school breaks.
- In grades 4-5, homework consists of completing, practicing, preparing, or extending core academic skills and is designed to build independent study habits.
- Long term assignments should be limited in number and duration. Project based assignments should primarily be undertaken and completed in the classroom. Some portions of projects may be assigned as homework; however, these tasks should not require group participation, significant assistance from parents or costly materials. These assignments should include clear check points to monitor progress toward completion.
- Homework is an integral component of education that deepens student learning and understanding. K-12 students will participate in homework that is meaningful, purposeful, and appropriate.